Friday, July 15, 2011

Summer Vegetable Chicken Stew



I have been on a big fresh, local vegetable kick lately and so have visited the Greenville Farmer's Market weekly. Part of this has to do with the extra time I have on my hands during the summer time. Also because of more free time, I've gotten into food blogs. There are so many of them out there and such wonderful recipes (our blog is one of them of course). I recently came across one called Coconut and Lime that I love and found this recipe for Summer Vegetable Chicken Stew. I prepared this last night for Martin's grandparents and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I changed the recipe a bit because of what vegetables we had at home. The amounts below can be altered to your taste or depending on what vegetables you prefer or have handy.

Here is a link to the original blog post.
http://www.coconutandlime.com/2011/06/summer-vegetable-chicken-stew.html

Summer Vegetable and Chicken Stew


Ingredients:
2 lb. chicken breast (I cooked in crockpot all day with salt and pepper and then shredded to add to the stew)
5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 medium tomatoes, diced
4 Serrano peppers (I used one green pepper and 2 Serrano)
squash or zucchini (however much you prefer)
1 1/2 onion, diced
2 ears worth of corn kernels
3 cups diced okra
2 cups of chicken stock
olive oil (to cook onions in)
2 tsp. smoked paprika
salt
pepper
**The original recipe called for chervil, which I could not find anywhere around here. So, I substituted parsley and that was fine.

Directions: Heat oil in a large, heavy bottom pan. Add squash (or zucchini), onion, garlic, and pepper. Cook until onion is soft and translucent but not browned. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until vegetables are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment